Recruitment and retention in the bus and coach industry
The biggest issue confronting all industries across the country and no less the bus and coach industry, is recruitment and retention. Maintaining a capable workforce at all levels (whether in bus operations or manufacturing), is increasingly becoming difficult especially whilst the industry also grapples with the transition to zero emissions.
What the industry faces today is:
- a shortage of drivers and manufacturing workers
- a limited pool of bus and coach drivers and apprentices coming into the industry as unemployment is at an all-time low
- a greater demand for secure work
- a perceived inability to address the shortage problem
- attracting female participation.
In this edition of the View, we try to unwrap these issues and the underlying causes.